Thursday, January 7, 2010

On Not Raising Racists

My son, Elisha, age eight, was called a "racist" a few days ago. He was so upset by this he stayed home from school the following day. I asked him if he knows what a racist is, and he in fact came up with with a pretty accurate definition. It turns out that he passed on a comment made in our home by a close family friend, who also happens to be African-American-Israeli. Elisha didn't realize that when a white person suggests that the mistake in the picture on the Cheerios box is the black person next to the swimming pool, well, that's racist. He's right, Marvin said it first. That was confusing, but a lesson in the importance of avoiding all stereotyping, even of the self.
The following day my eldest daughter, Liora, age 18, had a shouting match with an employee at the hospital where she volunteers about the random hatred of Arabs. This is routinely practiced, albeit quietly, by some of the hospital staff. One woman even asked her, "don't you hate Arabs, too?" She tried at first to explain the difference between hating terrorism, hating war, hating oppression, hating an attitude, hating an untenable situation, and hating people. She gave that up after seeing the lack of sophistication in her opponent and simply answered that she was not raised to hate. Thank God.
In fact both of my daughters have had some blind test cases which have proven to support our efforts in raising without hate. Both Liora, cellist and Adina, violinist have spent many years participating in "Mat'an," the National Youth Orchestra program. One summer Liora served as principal cellist, seated opposite Nadim, concert master. I saw this as a stunning moment in the history of my child; national religious girl from the west bank seated across from Israeli Arab from northern village. Playing Haydn. Sharing the language of music. Perhaps less stunning yet equally impactful, this was the summer six religious boys woke up four secular boys every morning at 7 to make their minyan. And Adina spent the entire session explaining that yes, she is religious and yes, she is wearing pants. Craziness.
It begs the question, why are we a nation of knee-jerk racists? Why are we so quick to judge each other, and is this fact contributing anything positive to the formation of an advanced, sophisticated society? As an issue of security and survival there is no question. I am in favor of racial profiling, and would appreciate a separate line at the road block for Palestinian plates. But I would also like these things to become unnecessary and I will work towards that end, by teaching my children that they do not need to learn hate in order to protect themselves or our country.
A few years ago I gave a paper on psychodrama at Yad VaShem's International Conference on Teaching the Holocaust to Future Generations. The conference was attended by hundreds of educators from around the world. I became very friendly with a German woman who teaches at the University of Berlin. Her grandparents, she tells me, were Nazis. She remembers seeing their paraphernalia around the house. She made a conscious decision to pick herself up out of their mindset and dedicate her life to healing. I was awestruck by her courage and devotion.
At the same conference I met an Israeli, a teacher from the Tel Aviv area. She asked me in English where I was from, and I answered in Hebrew that I live in Efrat. She did not respond, but turned on her heels and walked away from me. I went out for dinner with my German friend whose grandparents were Nazis, a journalist from South Africa and the sign language interpreter. Am I missing something?

14 comments:

  1. In your opinion, did the Israeli in the last paragraph do something wrong?
    She addressed you in English. You answered in Hebrew. Perhaps she wanted to know where you'd immigrated from - perhaps she asked in English because she was polite and wanted to make you feel welcome. In either case, your reponse could be considered inconsiderate.... But if she wanted to know where you now live because she wanted to offer or request a ride home, once you'd told her there was no reason to stop and chat....

    Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice try. I like that you are giving her the benefit of the doubt, but there was no question; she snubbed me and made a political statement. I did answer in Hebrew, in order to form a bond with her. She judged me as geographically unworthy of further conversation or courtesy. There were witnesses who confirmed this I am sorry to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You - and the witnesses - were there, so I guess your perception of her demeanor was accurate. Still, just as she wasn't omniscient enough to know that you answered in Hebrew as a goodwill gesture, what makes you (and the witnesses) certain of why she turned on her heels and walked away?
    (Basically I'm on the same side as you. I guess - apart from wanting to beat you in an argument - I'm just intrigued by people's ability to know what their [presumed] adversaries are thinking.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So the thing is, it's not actually an argument, it's an illustration of a point. For whatever reason, this woman, a fellow teacher, Jew and Israeli, chose NOT to embrace the opportunity for meaningful dialogue and a unique social interaction. I was embarrassed by her behavior, especially as compared to the warmth and openness of my friend the granddaughter of Nazis. Denial that this social ill exists does not serve us as a people. but confronting it and raising awareness might.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Dale wanted to say this, but had trouble posting:

    "What's really sad and sickening is when one sits at a Shabbat table and a "doti" charedi man...gives a bit of Torah so beautifully and passionately ("we need to be the light of Torah and Hashem to the world"...blah blah blah...etc. and then in the next few topics later proceeds to talk about blacks as "niggers" not once, not twice but three times he used the word. I told him at a packed table how offensive that word is. NO ONE else did!!! Him not knowing I am an Italian/Spanish/African American Jew. Surprise surprise. I didn't give him the satisfaction of knowing that fact. In short in front of everyone he said "too bad". His exact words. I was like oh but hell no he didn't say that. I played it cool till after dessert and birkat hamazon. when I got up to leave I thanked host and hostess for their hospitality..walked up to Mr. Doti (his adoring and supportive racist wife lovingly by his side)..and threw an overflowing glass of water in his face and eye glasses and said "clean up your soul". Actions in that moment spoke louder than words....three other doti men at the table ran after me as my friend and I made a quick exit and up the block, congratulated me on a deed well done. One Rabbi I spoke with said "you gave him a shabbos he'll never forget, maybe he'll think twice next time before he brings such words to a shabbat table." My nice cool glass of water was both "advanced and sophisticated". We have to speak up! Good on you Liora!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my son, Eitan was just a young child, maybe 3 or 4, we were in line at the supermarkat in Sharon Ma. and an African American, middle aged man was working the cash register. Eitan looked at him and asked me in aloud voice, "Mommy, is he an animal?"
    After wantng to dash under the nearest counter, I also realized that Eitan's question was completely innocent.I asked Eitan why he asked me that. "Is it because his skin is so dark?" I asked. Eitan said yes. I answered, "You know Eitan, you haven't seen a lot of differnent kind of people. But there are people all over the world with and they come in all sorts of colors. This gentelman happens to have very dark skin. We have very light skin. But underneath, we are all the same." Eitan was satisfied with the answer, and the man working the registar looked at me and said "Thankyou, good teaching mom."

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful conversation you have started! And one that is needed across the world.
    I applaud Leora for her quick thinking, courage to talk immediately and her gentle words. My concern is that it is things like the glass of water incident that, though very satisfying in the moment, will lead to retaliation and violence. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. most all of my friends were African American as I went to a predominately black public school until I was 8, when we moved to the capital, Tallahasse about 30 min away. I have faced so much racism in my life for being a Jew and having Black friends throughout my childhood and high school.Racism still run rampant down there and a lot of my friends grew up in racist homes so that rubbed off on them. My parents are amazing and did an incredible job of raising me with the understanding that even though we might look a little different, we are in fact all human beings and all created to be respected and loved for who we are not what we look like. Me, being on the olive/Mediterranean-complexion side always had a dark tan growing up in the hot Fl sun so I was always being made fun of for looking "Mexican" or "Puerto Rican", the most common nick name for me was "Spic" and I wasn't even Hispanic!!! I was a Jew and just happened to have darker skin than my Caucasian friends, who in my opinion were being ignorant and probably just envious that I tan so well! So back to what I saying, there are so many different types of racism, I may have a greater sensitivity than others because of the environment I grew up in, but I'm sure I'm also racist is certain matters, like for instance, in the Religious world, i have come across my fair share of Charedim that can only see the world through a "black and white" lens, and I may judge them for that, but really I try not to judge anyone, I'm not them, I just may disagree with their views but what business of mine is it to concern myself with what another person thinks is best for them. So, why don't we all do as my dear friends say: Worry about everyone else's belly and your own soul. We have an entire lifetime to get better at what we need to work on but we can't make excuses for ignorance. I'm sorry that doesn't fly with me, and I'll stand up for my beliefs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beginning got cut off, so here's how it starts.
    I have to tip my hat to Dale for handling himself the way he did the the ridiculous and uncomfortable situation he was in. I'm pretty sure I would have not handled myself in that way, my impulsiveness would have gotten the best of me and a fist would have gone flying into someone's face. And I'm even a violent person, but there are just certain things that strike a chord in a person. See, I'm from the South, to be exact, the tip of North Florida in a small plantation country town called Quincy, and I knew and learned from a very early age that even though we may all look different we really aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I meant to say I'm not a violent person, type o

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely blog Sara. And that's an amazing story Dale. I usually just don't spend that much energy on ignorant people. I have some quips about growing up in the States and feeling sometimes like I don't belong neither here nor there but the best thing I learned from going to a public school in Texas was tolerance. Yes, in the middle of redneck country. In 6th grade my best friends were Muslim (Persians from Iran), Baptists, Irish Catholic, American Jewish, and Buddhist Japanese. I'm a better person for it. I always thought it was a given, not a big deal, but the older I got in Israel the more I realized that people found it odd that I have nonjewish friends. People even found it odd that I have Jewish nonsecular or religious friends, Charedi, or masorati, or conservative, or reform friends. It boggles my mind time and again.

    I come from a rather open minded family, but my mom especially has double standards. She can recite the doctrines of her religious father in disliking Arabs, but on the other hand she has Arab friends, buys almost exclusivly in the Arab villages, and works daily with the Arab population. Sometimes I wonder what is more important, actions or words, and wonder why she insists on hanging on to primative thinking. When my aforementioned grandfather stayed over this weekend and made comments of this sort I challenged him about being raised in Morocco and he responded that Moroccan Arabs are different and are good people. I tried to continue challenging him but realized that there was no end to that discussion.

    It seems more and more people are insistant on staying racist. Maybe they think it makes them stronger, less vulnerable. In reality, it's exactly he opposite.

    -Nitzan

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes...doesn't mean we go around committing hate crimes! ;) (sorry had to...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. In conversations with Liora, btw, she is only now realizing how limited in scope Efrat has been as a place of open thinking and caring for our neighbors, all of them.

    ReplyDelete